The Story that is My Life

My life as it has been and as it continues to unfold is a story. One story made up of many stories. One complex, yet simple story. One sometimes messy, but so beautiful story. One story that I wonder if it might be interesting to be told.

This blog is my attempt to put part, or parts, of that story into words, pictures, or whatever form my mind can wrap itself around or create from within myself to express what it is like to be the one inside Cindy's Story. This is an exploration on my part and on yours in reading, and seeing, and maybe even hearing. It is not necessarily chronological. It might not always make sense, but it is my expression. It is me.

You are invited to see how my story unfolds.....

Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Meaning of My Middle Name, Marie "מִרְיָם"

Marie

Though I have known the meaning of my first name, Cynthia, for a long time, I have not paid as much attention to the meaning of my middle name, Marie.  I wrote about my first name the other day, which got me interested in knowing about the meaning of the rest of my name.

In my research on internet sites today, to get the meaning of Marie, it was interesting that I had to jump around in different language forms of the name.  This is what I have gathered:

Marie is the French and Czech form of Maria, the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) and Μαρια (Maria) which were from the Hebrew name  מִרְיָם (Miryam).

Mary is the English form of Maria.  The usual meaning given by various sources for the name Mary, is the Hebrew מרר m-r-r meaning "bitterness". Other meanings suggested include "rebelliousness" (מרי m-r-y), or "wished for child" or "beloved lady".

It was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love".  

The name was also considered in the Middle Ages to be connected to the sea and the word mare, as in the term Stella Maris, or "star of the sea," an epithet for the Virgin Mary.

From all of this jumping around, I find myself a little confused and a bit conflicted.  The meanings seem quite different from each other.  "Bitterness" and "Rebelliousness" are not meanings that I want to apply to me.  My heart wants to go with "wished for child" because I want to think that I was and am wanted, or "star of the sea" because then I would be something steady that people follow to find their way.  Mostly I want the meaning of "beloved" because I want to be the beloved of others, and I know I am especially the "beloved" of God.

Marie
"Beloved"